Monday, July 25, 2011

Russell


He is a resident at the Seniors' Home which I visit. I have noticed him piping in with relish at the Chapel. He knows the Gospel and the peace and composure which it brings.

Recently I invited Russell to share in our little reading-discussion group. I attended at his room to repeat the invitation given two weeks prior. I assisted him in getting out of his automated chair, onto his feet and leaning against the walker. The trip was only thirty-five down the hall then right turn for another twelve feet to the entrance to the living room for that floor.

Russell is blind. He asked me not to pull but simply to guide the walker and give instructions..."Left...left...too close to the wall..straight ahead...right...here we are...Now simply park your walker in front of the wing chair...position your trunk, and down. Friends, meet Russell."

We had a short devotional reading, and then a mystery story. I had wondered if it might go on too long, but the majority stuck it out and enjoyed the challenge and the suspenseful conclusion.

I have only admiration for this elderly gentleman. I provide this post as a tribute to his determination to keep going and to do his best to get the marrow out of life. I wonder if I could manifest such resolve in the face of grinding handicap?

I am sure that Russell has more lessons to offer. He is a gentleman and on most days, not easily flustered.

No comments:

Post a Comment